Maskers' Playwriting Challenge
Maskers are calling all budding playwrights to write and submit a one act play for a new project we are considering in 2021 and beyond. We are looking for something that will be engaging and rewarding for actors, directors, and an audience. It can be dramatic, funny, moving, inventive, unusual, or familiar. What is most important is that it harnesses the power of onstage performance and demonstrates the true potential of what a one act play can achieve.
Any plays submitted should meet the following criteria:
- The play must have a minimum of two characters and no more than five characters. Each character must contribute something to the play and should not be used as extras with only two or three lines.
- The play should run for at least 25 minutes and no more than 40 minutes. Timings are approximate but working on the average 2 minutes per page you should aim for between 20-25 pages.
- The play should be able to be performed in a variety of locations and we particularly welcome plays for the open air.
- Scene changes should be minimal, and the play should have only a few locations unless it is an abstract piece with reduced set and props.
Here are a few tips to think about when writing your play:
- Think very carefully about your characters motivations. What is driving them in the play and why should the audience keep watching them. Every character should have a purpose for being in the play.
- Each line of dialogue should move the story on in some way. If it does not think about how it could or if it really needs to be there.
- Start small at first. A focussed play in a small area is generally better than a large-scale play with no focus. If you start small you can always expand.
All play submitted will be considered by some of our experienced creative team and feedback will be provided directly to each author. We cannot guarantee any play selected will necessarily be performed but all will be given consideration.
All submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
If your file is too large for email, then it can be sent using WeTransfer.com